Bioelectrical Impedance Analysis (BIA) is a computerized method of assessing your "body composition" – the measurement of fat in relation to lean body mass. It is an integral part of a health and nutrition assessment. The BIA test is a quick, easy, non-evasive in-office assessment. The test takes less than ten minutes and only requires that you remove all jewelry.
Importance of healthy body composition
Total weight on its own is of little importance and far too many people base their diet regimen on what they see on the bathroom scale. Even if your weight is within a normal range, you can still have unhealthy or altered body composition. You could carry too much fat in comparison to lean tissue (muscle)-high fat-to-lean ratio. As the body's fat-to-lean ratio increases, so do the health risks.
Factors contributing to unhealthy body composition
- Unbalanced, High-fat, high-sugar diet
- Lack of exercise
- Hormonal disorders
- Certain medications
Benefits of healthy body composition
By reducing body fat, a healthy body composition may:
- Improve insulin sensitivity
- Improve blood circulation
- Promote healthy blood pressure and cholesterol levels
- Reduce respiratory infections, improve lung function
- Improve quality of sleep
- Relieve the strain placed on your knees, hips, lower back
- Increase energy and endurance
- Improve mood and self-confidence
After assessing your body composition, we can determine a healthy body composition program that will be designed specifically for you.